Join the Team
Open Positions at the Berkeley Seismology Lab
Systems Administrator (7304U) #56432
Application Review Date
- The First Review Date for this job is: August 2, 2023 - Open Until Filled
The Berkeley Seismological Laboratory (BSL) operates a network of geophysical instrumentation across Northern and Central California. The data collected is analyzed in real-time to produce Earthquake Early Warnings as well as archived for research purposes. The MyShake app delivers earthquake early warning messages to the public on smartphones located in California, Oregon, and Washington. It also collects earthquake experience information from users and provides information about recent earthquakes worldwide.
This position exists for the deployment and operational support of cloud-based backend software and systems that serve smart phone applications such as MyShake, as well as for the deployment and operational needs of other cloud-based BSL projects.
This is a 1-year contract opportunity with the possibility of extension and/or conversion to career.
- Monitors and troubleshoots the overall health of cloud-based backend software and systems, performing any daily operational procedures that are not automated. Includes on-call responsibilities along with the continual development of appropriate dashboards and monitoring. Determine and solve load-related issues on the backend, including preemptive scaling to avoid performance degradation.
- Designs and executes performance, integration, and regression testing before coordinating the deployment of backend and app releases. Automates appropriate build, testing, and deployment pipelines. Proposes and implements system enhancements that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
- Designs and deploys configured implementations of the backend, bridging the gap between development and operations. Participates in project architecture and design decisions, especially as they pertain to maintainability, scalability, and reliability.
- Interacts with senior level internal personnel along with other project team members, to include the training/assisting of local users in the use of custom tools, environments, and datasets.
- Provides analysis for the design and use of databases within the project, recommends and implements changes in deployment and system standards, and applies industry best practices and department policies to these efforts.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares documentation, especially as it pertains to operational support.
- Keeps abreast of latest technologies and methods; applies best industry practices, community standards and department policies and procedures.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Advanced IT operational support skills and thorough knowledge of cloud-based (AWS) backend platforms.
- Advanced skills regarding platform design, testing, configuration, deployment, monitoring, and troubleshooting.
- Advanced programming skills.
- Thorough understanding and experience with systems-related issues under Linux and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance.
- Demonstrated skills associated with adapting equipment and technology to serve project needs with a comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, services, and dependent / related functions.
- Must have proficient knowledge of and experience with SQL databases such as MariaDB/PostgreSQL.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates problem-solving skills.
- Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Experience automating deployment pipelines highly desired.
- Experience with Python and shell scripting desired.
- Knowledge of and experience with other databases, such as Redis and MongoDB desired.
- Knowledge of and experience with message brokers, such as Kafka, preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with cloud-based messaging, such as Google Firebase Cloud Messaging and Apple Push Notification, preferred.
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits website:
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $85,800 to $146,000 annually. This position is eligible for full benefits.
This is a 1-year contract opportunity with the possibility of extension and or conversion to career.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.